Admiral’s House


nelsongreenwichadmiralshouse

The Admiral’s House was the residence of the Governor of Greenwich Hospital.

Following the loss of his arm in battle in 1797, Nelson spent some time convalescing at Greenwich Hospital and would have dined with the Governor at his residence.

The Admiral’s House, at the northern end of King Charles Court, is not generally open to the public but does usually take part in the annual Open House London weekend in September.

The Admiral’s House is seen above with Type-23 frigate HMS St Albans just coming in to view on the Thames.

Sitting for Abbott 

During his period of convalescence at Greenwich where he stayed in the quarters of his friend William Locker, the Lieutenant Governor of the Hospital, Nelson sat for the artist Lemuel Abbott.

Abbott used those studies to later undertake a large number of portraits of Nelson. The National Maritime Museum has in its collection three versions of the study, including this famous half-length portrait which can be seen in the Nelson gallery at the National Maritime Museum.

[with grateful thanks to Pieter van der Merwe]

Next: Nelson statue by the Trafalgar Tavern

 

Comments

Leave a comment: