The Painted Hall
The Painted Hall was originally designed built as an eating hall for the pensioners of the Royal Hospital of Seamen early in the 18th century.
It was within the grand surroundings of the Painted Hall, masterfully painted over nineteen years by James Thornhill, that Lord Nelson lay in state over three days from January 5th 1806. The exact spot where his coffin lay is marked by a plaque on the floor.
The Painted Hall became home to Greenwich Hospital’s Naval Gallery with many portraits of naval heroes and artefects on display.
The Painted Hall is also where the Nelson relics went on display and were famously stolen in 1900. In the shocking crime, thieves “carried off from the collection of priceless Nelson relics everything of intrinsic value which could be smashed up, melted down, and conveniently disposed of.”